Monday, June 21, 2010

Coffee Grinder

 This old coffee grinder has been sitting around my mom's house for literally my entire life. I ain't gonna say how long that is, but suffice it to say, long enough. I have no idea how old it is, but after a small amount of research, I think it is safe to say it was probably made sometime during the 1800's, and may even predate that.








It worked pretty much like the ones nowdays do, only instead of pushing a button and activating a motor driven steel blade, you just turned a crank. Ironically, I do not remember ever actually seeing this one in action. Probably should have demonstrated it, but the top is coming loose and I don't want to damage it further.

You just put the beans into the that little bowl on top, turn the crank, and the ground coffee sifts down into the drawer below. The drawer comes completely out, allowing Wash to dump the grounds directly into the coffee pot instead of into the percolator basket, where they belong.

I actually did clean it up a bit, that white haze is not dust. I think the wax finish is so old it now looks white and chalky. Probably need to hit it with a little lemon oil.

2 comments:

Rae-ana said...

I saw the picture and immediatly thought "Hey, it's just like the one in 'Dances With Wolves'". (Sigh) I had to see/hear that movie so many times, my brother was rather obsessed with it.

'gina said...

I am sorry I am just seeing this comment. For whatever reason, I don't always get them sent to my email account, and as a result, I miss them sometimes. Didn't mean to ignore you.

I should watch that movie again, it was a great flick. I don't even remember there being a grinder in it (but then, it was a loooong time since I have seen it. Put it this way...I saw it in the theater. ). I'd like to watch it again just for the antiques and whatnot.