Monday, April 21, 2014

Blog Hop

 So, I got invited to participate in a "blog hop", which is where a bunch of indie authors write a little bit about their work and the creative process, and link to another author who they are "following." I am following R.A. White, of the Kergulen Series, a fantasy tale of friendship and freedom.

Give her a visit on her blog and see what she's up to! 

As for me, here's my own contribution.


What am I working on?


Right now I am beefing up the Five Dollar Mail anthology, Riders and Kickers, that is set to come out this year. At the same time, I am steadily working on the third and final (for now!) book in the FDM trilogy. Those of you who are regulars here know I’m roughly a third of the way through that.



How does my work differ from others of its genre?


This story is actually several stories, and told from the points of view of many characters. Each chapter is short...easy enough to burn through quickly...and experienced through the eyes of one of many viewpoints. It’s a western adventure first and foremost, with a heavy dose of romance, and features an interesting variety of realistic female characters who are heroes in their own right. Aside from straight-up romance novels, I haven’t seen any western genre books that were not mostly male-centric. This one gives the ladies equal time.


Why do I write what I do?


I have always loved westerns. I love them so much that when I was a college girl watching soaps after class with sister, I found myself thinking “It would be so cool if there was a western soap opera.”


Indeed it would. Enjoy!


How does my writing process work?


I write on a tight schedule. Write, rough-edit, and post about a thousand words a week. I can write more than my quota, but not less, unless there is some sort of really compelling excuse.


As I’ve said, I tell the story from multiple points of view. And I have everything plotted out very carefully. So I start out mulling over my options. I know what has to happen to advance the story at whatever point its at, so I ask myself, “what information has to come out in this chapter?” Then I have to consider what character would be best to tell this part of the story?

No comments: